No one ever said dating was easy. Likewise, no one ever said using social media to grow your business was easy, either. And as they say, if dating (and social media) is a game, then just like any other game, there are rules you need to study, learn, and follow.
How close do the “rules” match up with your love life? We took eHarmony’s 5 Do’s and Don’ts of Dating and gave them the social media marketing spin. See for yourself how appropriate the suggestions are.
Top 5 Do’s of Dating… and Social Media Marketing
1. Do: Be clear AND realistic about what you want – The most successful daters are those who not only know exactly what they want, but are realistic about themselves and what they’re looking for. Successful social media marketers know what their goals are: Whether it’s to build their followers (i.e., go on lots of dates) or gain new customers (i.e., look at dating as a step to marriage).
2. Do: Put yourself in target rich environments (often!) – The best way to avoid a dating rut is to get “out there” on a regular basis. Social media marketers know where your targets are — whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or blogs — and get “out there” often.
3. Do: Learn your relationship lessons – Instead of obsessing about past relationship failures, look at those experiences as valuable lessons. In social media marketing, experiment often, and learn from what works and doesn’t in those experiences.
4. Do: Have fun - In your quest to meet your partner, you may sometimes lose sight of the fact that dating is supposed to be fun. Yes, it takes a lot of time, energy, and patience… Likewise in social media marketing, not all of your posts need to be business-serious. You should engage on topics of personal interest to you, as well.
5. Do: Become a successful single – The key to enjoying your social life as a savvy single is to relish in the possibilities. In social media marketing, you need to become a successful business; you’ll be more attractive if your business is a success.
Top 5 Don’ts of Dating… and Social Media Marketing
1. Don’t: Misrepresent yourself – While online dating is a valuable resource for the savvy single, there are people out there who misrepresent themselves. Don’t be one of them. Same goes for social media marketing. Be truthful about your identity and your business!
2. Don’t: Get stuck in a rut – Getting stuck in a dating rut or dry spell doesn’t have to be part of the single gal’s experience. Likewise, take a break from social media for a little while if your creative juices aren’t flowing.
3. Don’t: Drag excess baggage on dates – Just as you shouldn’t have to date a guy who lugs his emotional baggage wherever he goes, you shouldn’t be That Girl either. In social media, stay away from overly “heavy” topics. See also Do #4.
4. Don’t: Be a critic – He’s too short. He doesn’t drive the right car. I don’t think he makes enough money. In social media marketing, don’t mis-judge who your potential customers (and influencers) are. A “profile” doesn’t tell you everything: Look at their posts, links to websites, and other information.
5. Don’t: Look at being single as a bad thing - This kind of negative thinking is both dangerous and defeating to your dating efforts. After all, would you want to date someone who hated being single? Similarly, don’t worry if you’re new to social media. Just make a list of your “target rich environments” (see Do #2) and get started!