Etsy, the world’s biggest handmade marketplace on the net, has over seven million registered users and many, like you, are small business owners. It isn’t easy to stand out in a crowd of sellers stemming from all corners of the globe, but if you don’t find a way to set yourself apart, someone else will.
With that in mind, here are some surefire ways to make your handmade items shine.
1) Create your own signature style – Determine what makes you different and find a way to incorporate it into your business. A hand tag explaining where your materials came from is one way to set yourself apart from the competition. Laura Bergman of Bottled Up Designs knows this all too well. Each piece of jewelry that she crafts using reclaimed glass comes with its own personal history. Her customers know the origin of each object and the age of each piece used to make her signature earrings and pendants.
2) Personalize the experience for your customers – Part of the draw of handmade goods stems from the fact that you can’t find them everywhere. They are considered special or one-of-a-kind because they are unique to the seller. You can capitalize on this concept by making each transaction as personal as possible. Enclose a handwritten thank you card with each order and learn how to connect with those that financially support your craft.
3) Throw in some free swag – Who doesn’t love free stuff? The most memorable sellers are generous with their offerings. Their packages include extras like magnets, stickers, pens, and more. They also enclose a discount coupon along with the item that can be used for future purchases. These small gestures keep your customers coming back for more.
4) Build an empire – In addition to selling crafty gifts, you can offer tutorials on how you make your most popular items. This allows customers to create their very own replicas of your creative projects, while you pocket a fee for teaching a class or selling a pre-assembled kit or ebook.
5) Get social – Customers that buy handmade are looking for a different type of shopping experience than they get anywhere else as they turn to independent crafters and artisans to fulfill their needs. Reach out to your customers through a blog or newsletter as well as the social media sites of your choice. This increases your visual presence, generates interest in your products, and enhances credibility.